Monday, August 11, 2014

house of pain



My essay "House of Pain" is online now at Upstart Journal.

It's part of a collection of queer writers responding to Shakespeare's Sonnets.

Mine is a response to #46.

Reading Shakespeare in school was a challenge for me, not only because I was fatally shy and we usually had to read it aloud as a class but also because I was asked to dig for meaning, plot or logic. I was always more interested in the texture of the writing and the details that were brought forth.

In writing my essay, I started thinking about the voyeurism of my favorite reality show "Big Brother" and the ideas and ethics of the eye and heart at "mortal war." I ended up being struck by how many elements were responding to one another and how the imagery also ended up relating to much of the language in the sonnet.

No comments:

Post a Comment